10/01/2008

The Hari Raya misadventures of Reong

Today is Hari Raya Puasa, a public holiday in Singapore and I had been invited to M’s home to catch up and savour her mum’s chicken wings. Since meeting her many years ago, our friendship has been going strong and I am thankful for that and the welcome her family has always extended when I visit and say hello.

This morning started out ordinarily enough. Woke up, did the usual chores to make one’s self presentable to the world and had planned to get there just in time to get a quick gift & chill for an hour or slightly more, before attending to the Empress Dowager (ED) later on. But things are not always as simple as they appear to be, or could be. Ah-ha! Apparently Her Highness had some other plans as to where to get the gift. So, yours truly had to drive all the way down south with ED, to acquire the approved gift. When the journey to M’s house is a much shorter distance. -_-;;

After purchasing a lovely box of chocolates, I dropped ED at an Arabic castle with treasures untold (aka a Mall in little India). Onto M’s house and had quite a relaxing drive. Got to her place and I was greeted by the cutest little girl, who squealed to inform the inhabitants that a guest had arrived. I was the greeted warmly by M in an ensemble of T-shirt and shorts. How underwhelming. LOL. I had thought she was going to be dressed in the traditional Baju Kurung (Malay dress) and all dolled up, as she is usually well dressed. But no matter, we’re best mates for life. :) (No matter what we wear.) Proceeded to chat away with her mum and caught up as to how they all were and the smell of home cooked food wafted through the air. Curry chicken, sambal mutton and fried chicken, oh my! (My mouth was watering already…) Unfortunately, I forgot to take a photo of the fab meal I had had, but I’ll try to remember next time.

After having a good time at M’s went to pick up the ED and went to Takashimaya to have dinner. Blog more about that later!

No comments: